Re: Hi Everyone!! Another Rancho Hidalgo Refuge on Board

David Oesper

Welcome to the group, Lon! For those of you who don't know, Lon is an accomplished photographer, including astrophotography:

http://londittrickphotography.com/

I'm glad you brought up hosting remote observatories as an income source for a dark-sky community. I've always wanted to be the one at the dark-sky site helping to keep the observatories and equipment running instead of the one who is utilizing a remote observatory.

A few days ago, my one and only inquiry (so far) from the S&T classified ad also suggested remote observatory hosting, so I amended the Observatory Campus section of the Mirador Astronomy Village specifications document to include this:

Observatory Campus

The observatory campus will be the designated area set aside for astronomical observation. This will include observatories (individually or cooperatively rented), telescope pads, and a meteor watching deck. One observatory will be provided for the use of all residents of Mirador. The observatory campus will be located within easy walking distance of the residential campus.

A section of the observatory campus should be set aside for remote observatory hosting. Individual observatories would be leased by the hour or by the night to interested astronomers anywhere in the world. A larger structure with multiple telescopes inside could also be used for this purpose. High speed internet access is crucial, and must support remote interactive use. Remote observatory hosting will be another important source of income for the community.

Like you and Steve, I, too, am a Rancho Hidalgo land owner trying to figure out what to do with the property. I purchased 4 acres there about 12 years ago for $26K. If I can ever sell that property for what I bought it for, I would donate $13K towards the land-purchase for Mirador Astronomy Village (the other half is already spoken for).