Re: Hi Everyone!! Another Rancho Hidalgo Refuge on Board

Steve Taylor

I'm not necessarily thinking of it being necessarily potable, the amount we actually drink is really very small. Dust sediments out, and modern filters will easily fix the rest.
I too am thinking of a composting system for waste.
And I am building a recycling shower which has exotic filters in it to allow us to shower safely and happily with two gallons of water a time.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 15:32, Lonnie Dittrick <Ldittrick1955@...> wrote:
Do you think a rain harvesting system would be a viable option at our location?  We could collect enough to make this feasible?  How would you keep the water potable?  How would you handle the dust which is always an issue?  I have considered a biodegradable system to handle human waste...

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 3:19 PM Steve Taylor <steveastrouk@...> wrote:
Figuring on rainwater harvesting, solar and a lithium ion battery rack for the first parts of solutions to my problems.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 15:13, Lonnie Dittrick <Ldittrick1955@...> wrote:
Well that is good to hear, Steve.  Unfortunately, on the western side of the development it is, in the words of one of your more popular novelists, dead as a door nail 😉.  Unless things change dramatically on my end I will keep it simply to boondock with an RV.  I had the road improved enough to get to the pad I had built.  Thought about putting up a roll-off observatory with enough solar to power it.  But water, septic, power to run a/c.... don’t know if it is worth the investment.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Steve Taylor <steveastrouk@...> wrote:
There's activity at Hidalgo. The current residents have just had a major upgrade to the road there. Dark Skies New Mexico seems to be doing OK there too.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 14:30, David Oesper via groups.io <oesper=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

Welcome to the group, Lon! For those of you who don't know, Lon is an accomplished photographer, including astrophotography:

http://londittrickphotography.com/

I'm glad you brought up hosting remote observatories as an income source for a dark-sky community. I've always wanted to be the one at the dark-sky site helping to keep the observatories and equipment running instead of the one who is utilizing a remote observatory.

A few days ago, my one and only inquiry (so far) from the S&T classified ad also suggested remote observatory hosting, so I amended the Observatory Campus section of the Mirador Astronomy Village specifications document to include this:

Observatory Campus

The observatory campus will be the designated area set aside for astronomical observation. This will include observatories (individually or cooperatively rented), telescope pads, and a meteor watching deck. One observatory will be provided for the use of all residents of Mirador. The observatory campus will be located within easy walking distance of the residential campus.

A section of the observatory campus should be set aside for remote observatory hosting. Individual observatories would be leased by the hour or by the night to interested astronomers anywhere in the world. A larger structure with multiple telescopes inside could also be used for this purpose. High speed internet access is crucial, and must support remote interactive use. Remote observatory hosting will be another important source of income for the community.

Like you and Steve, I, too, am a Rancho Hidalgo land owner trying to figure out what to do with the property. I purchased 4 acres there about 12 years ago for $26K. If I can ever sell that property for what I bought it for, I would donate $13K towards the land-purchase for Mirador Astronomy Village (the other half is already spoken for).

“The Universe declares Your Majesty.”
www.londittrickphotography.com