Off-Grid Systems

Bennett Jones

Re: Water - Priority is lowest water use faucets/fixtures/appliances, then catch rainwater, then use greywater for subsurface irrigation of trees on the Northwest side of the residence. There is no need to distill rainwater, just filter out the dust then purify. Recycling showers are not really an advantage in stationary home applications, but hold great potential for mobile applications. The same for lithium batteries. Lead acid is still the battery tech for stationary applications, unless you have the budget for Nickle Iron.

This is what I do (design integrated off-grid systems: shelter, power, water, "waste", food, fiber, fuel, pharmaceutical, etc.).
I have lots of info if anyone is looking for something specific.

Samples:

Rainwater Harvesting (RWH) -
Texas Rainwater Harvesting Manual 3rd Ed.
http://www.twdb.texas.gov/publications/brochures/conservation/doc/RainwaterHarvestingManual_3rdedition.pdf

"Texas is one of only a few states in the nation that has devoted a considerable amount of attention to rainwater harvesting and has enacted many laws regulating the practice of collecting rainwater."

  • Texas Tax Code 151.355 allows for a state sales tax exemption on rainwater harvesting equipment.

SOURCE:
http://www.twdb.texas.gov/innovativewater/rainwater/

Texas Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certification - http://rainwaterharvesting.tamu.edu/files/2011/05/tax.pdf

Zephaniah Phiri - The Water Harvester

"Water harvesting principles & the story of an African rain farmer Design guidelines for regenerative" - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D6_WZ789lpM
Rainwater Harvesting for Drylands and Beyond by Brad Lancaster -
https://www.harvestingrainwater.com/rainwater-harvesting-inforesources/rainwater-harvesting-inforesourcesdownspout-gutter-sizing/

"The Water Harvester: A Film on Zephaniah Phiri" -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ieqYZaT0JwA

Greywater -
The greywater reference books -
http://oasisdesign.net/greywater/

My favorite urine diverting dry toilet systems -
https://www.separett.com/en-gb/

My go to purifiers -
https://generalecology.com/collections/residential

 -Bennett