Intentional Community Economics - Mirador Money?

Bennett Jones

While it may be premature to discuss "local currencies" (or local money options) here is some background -
When we started The Alpine Sustainability Project in 2007, we quickly formed a Local Currency Team and accelerated our research. Unfortunately I could never find a Project Leader for this one and I needed to focus my effort on Energy. I offer the following resources to anyone interested in the topic.

Step one - learn:
- what is the difference between currency and money?
- what is a fiat currency?
- what is the petrodollar?
   video < 26 min. and transcript - https://www.weusecoins.com/hidden-secrets-of-money-currency-versus-money/
   https://www.investopedia.com/articles/forex/072915/how-petrodollars-affect-us-dollar.asp

Local currency - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Local_currency
List of community currencies in the United States - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_community_currencies_in_the_United_States

Recent News Story - July 9, 2020 - https://www.csmonitor.com/Business/2020/0709/In-economic-slump-town-takes-new-tack-Printing-its-own-money

"What's Minted in Berkshire County Stays There: Finding Reward in Local Currency" - Sep 5, 2013  PBS NewsHour -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bP0iSnygyhU

"Ithaca Hours: Local Currency" - Aug 15, 2010  Grassroots Activist Guild  -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jy2nCHX36tI

__

Our original starting point -