Re: Rural Community Water and Septic

Bennett Jones

Dave,
Both water supply and wastewater treatment are going to be site specific.
There is also a high probability that there will be more than one way both functions will be addressed.
I can walk you through this, when the site is selected.

Bennett

On Saturday, July 18, 2020, 03:42:07 PM CDT, David Oesper via groups.io <oesper@...> wrote:

This is a cohousing community in rural Pennsylvania, but perhaps of interest and relevant to the desert SW...

Hundredfold Farm is a rural PA cohousing community of presently 10single-family homes (15 maximum). Due to our location, we did/do nothave access to municipal water or sewer services. And since we areclustered, individual wells and septic systems were not an option. Twowells provide our drinking water, but since they are low yield wellswater conservation is key here. Our community septic system is anartificial wetland housed in a greenhouse for which the state allowsus to reuse a portion of the treated effluent within the homes astoilet flush water. We are the only folk in PA with such a system. Thecost for us is equivalent to the construction of a conventionalcommunity septic system. Operational costs are primarily utility costs(about what you pay each year for gas and electricity of asingle-family home) plus periodic repairs. Being mostly gravel,plastic pipe, and low power pumps, it doesn't cost much to take careof. It is a licensed wastewater treatment facility, so effluenttesting is required. That's a few thousand bucks a year. Happy to chatmore and to share info if it is helpful. I would warn that everystate's regs are different, so what worked elsewhere may not work foryou. Bill @ Hundredfold Farm