File /AZ-NM-TX 2019 Light Pollution Map.jpg uploaded #file-notice

main@Dark-Sky-Communities.groups.io Notification <main@...>

The following files have been uploaded to the Files area of the main@Dark-Sky-Communities.groups.io group.

By: David Oesper

2019 light pollution map of Arizona, New Mexico, and West Texas from https://blue-marble.de/nightlights/2019 . As you can see, the area south of Lordsburg in the bootheel of New Mexico where Rancho Hidalgo is located would be an excellent location for Mirador Astronomy Village (or parts thereof). The Big Bend region of West Texas south of Alpine and Marfa is also excellent (and further south than all of NM and AZ), but the oil and gas development north of I-10 is significantly affecting the darkness of the sky at McDonald Observatory north of Alpine and Marfa (north of Fort Davis). At any potential site for Mirador we need to be mindful of the likelihood of extractive industry activity in the future, which could quickly destroy our dark skies, as we would have little or no ability to regulate the lighting of those activities.