Re: Dark-Sky Community: Rental instead of Ownership

Steve Taylor

I am pretty sure that the crook that was setting up Hidalgo was aiming to do time shares along the lines you're thinking of.
There might be a market, but who'd risk it, after all the collapsed schemes ?

On Tue, 31 Dec 2019 at 19:21, David Oesper via Groups.Io <oesper=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

In the coming weeks and months I am going to explore the notion of a Dark-Sky Community that is owned and operated by some sort of corporate entity where residents rent instead of the usual approach of purchasing land and building a house on it (or buying an existing house). I am not aware that this has ever been tried before, but it would have several advantages. For example, no need to be wealthy or having to go into debt in order to move to an astronomy-oriented community, and ease of moving in or out as circumstances change (such as poor health in old age).

Short of finding someone who would be willing to fund such a venture, we will need to find a developer with experience developing rural communities (intentional communities or otherwise) in the chosen geographic area who will be able to turn a reasonable profit.

Interested in your thoughts, as always.