Re: Senior Cohousing Handbook: Chapter 5 Notes and Mirador Musings

Bennett Jones

Dave,
It does not have to be a binary choice - "stout" vs "lite".
A continuum is possible (and recommended) from the very beginning.
Within the Campground you could go from a tent as your "Bed Room", with all other facilities being shared (I did that for 3 1/2 years of my life - which I still miss), to a fully self-contained RV with all the bells and whistles and no need to share any facilities at all.

A formal survey of members might be interesting.
Q? - Are interested in:
1 - personal tent only - all other spaces and facilities shared
2 - personal RV used as a Bed Room - all other spaces and facilities shared
3 - personal Bed Room - all other spaces and facilities shared
4 - personal RV used as a Bed Room with a toilet - all other spaces and facilities shared
5 - personal Bed Room with a toilet - all other spaces and facilities shared
6 - personal RV used as a Bed Room with a toilet and bathing facilities - all other spaces and facilities shared
7 - personal Bed Room with a toilet and bathing facilities - all other spaces and facilities shared
8 - personal RV used as a Bed Room with a toilet, bathing facilities, Kitchen, and Dinning area - all other spaces and facilities shared
9 - personal apartment with a Bed Room, Bath Room, Kitchen, and Dinning area - all other spaces and facilities shared
10- personal RV used as a Bed Room with a toilet, bathing facilities, Kitchen, Dinning area, and Laundry - all other spaces and facilities shared
11- personal apartment with a Bed Room, Bath Room, Kitchen, Dinning area, and Laundry - all other spaces and facilities shared
12- personal home with access to all shared facilities
Etc. etc. etc.

I do recommend separate (adjoining) Bed Rooms for family members in the first permanent non-common structures that are built.
You have pointed out a few of many reasons that even spouses might need to sleep apart, for at least a short period of time.

You may be surprised how little private personal space you actually need to live comfortably.
(I shared 10 years in a sailboat with a living space of 8'x12'=96 sq. ft., which I also still miss.)

Bennett

On Thursday, June 4, 2020, 08:43:16 PM CDT, David Oesper via groups.io <oesper@...> wrote:

Prior to building your community, identify and address all issues as early as possible, before they turn into conflicts.

Smaller houses in a senior cohousing community provide the following advantages:

  • More affordable
  • Easier upkeep
  • Better materials can be used, providing a more comfortable place to live with less maintenance needed later
  • Common house provides some of the amenities you would normally have in a larger home

A typical smaller cohousing home is 600 to 1,000 sq ft. One bedroom, all-in-one kitchen-dining-living room, bathroom, and “plus room” (office or hobby room) off to the side. But...

At Mariendalsvej Senior Cohousing [in Copenhagen, Denmark], high-income prospective residents found one-bedroom 840-960 sq. ft. and two-bedroom 1,020-1,100 sq. ft. apartments to be too small.

milky_way Personal Note: The two of us have grown accustomed to living in a 1,600 - 2,500 sq. ft. home over the years, and we fully utilize just about all of that space. I’m not sure we could downsize to 600 to 1,000 sq. ft. How about you? If one or both of you snore, or keep very different schedules (night owl + early bird), it seems that two bedrooms would be a necessity. milky_way

Make sure you have enough tenants signed up and involved with the project before you build!

Without a strong core resident group to hold the line in terms of budget, there is real danger that costs will creep up beyond the reach of potential residents who are interested in the cohousing concept (already a limited pool of potential buyers).

Without the leadership of a strong resident group, the developer may not fully support, or perhaps even understand, the cohousing concept enough to see the project through with its original intent intact—that of creating a community.

Without a strong group process in which a group of people embark on the common task of developing the project, committing themselves, and taking responsibility, the opportunity for group formation and bonding is utterly lost, and the community itself might fail.

A “you can add the community after move-in” philosophy simply does not create cohousing. Prospective buyers cannot be forced to buy into the cohousing concept itself. An individual or family is either predisposed to cooperating with neighbors or is not—no one is going to be “talked into it”.

milky_way Do we want "cohousing stout" for Mirador, or "cohousing lite"? We do have a choice. milky_way

ReferencesThe Senior Cohousing Handbook, Second Edition, by Charles Durrett (2009): Chapter 5