Re: Mirador Astronomy Village Living Accommodations #poll

maxeem

I can't answer the "why" for anyone else, but I can maybe manage to answer a potential "how".

The form of rental that worked for us (my intentional community is a co-op, now celebrating its 80th year) was to have each resident own a share of the place which was owned cooperatively. We set the rent price ourselves and paid this monthly rent to ourselves in order to fund the various departments of the house such as supplies, food, repairs, etc. (a small amount of funds also came from payments from busy folx to cover their missed chores). No position was paid, but you were required to have a position to live there.

The recruitment manager(s)'s job, for example, was to keep track of who was going to move in or move out and find new people to replace those moving out (when there wasn't a waiting list, and it would comfortably vacillate between too few and too many people wanting to populate the place).

We paid such affordable rent for room & board, which allowed each of us to spend more time valuing each other and pursuing our individual dreams, rather than working ourselves just to barely afford housing or re-purchase dozens of things that make more sense to share. And yet, despite the affordability, with 29 residents we always had savings every month, and last decade we repaired our extension, installed new windows, and redid the stucco (Something like $200k+).

So it's a strangely effective system. If you set it up right. Insurance was set up and handled by a company connected to the father of one of the original members. When you pay your first rent and deposit you become an owner. There is no equity. And the shares do nothing presently, and everyone is happy to just contribute now, but at one time in the past you were issued a lovely little certificate of stock. (Still some of these sitting around in the finance closet somewhere). The purpose of these was to track a small dividend returned to renters each year that gradually was forgotten about or dispensed with.

How it was founded was the coop got a loan from another cooperative or two in the 1930s which they paid back. The coop group (created by a woman naturally!) swooped in and bought a frat house that had recently gone bankrupt due to mismanagement.

I would guess with a sharehouse you could have a different loaning partner that is less likely to decline than a bank, such as the larger ecovillage community's own bank. Or this "funding" thing may be a moot issue if its worked into the site plan.

I'd be happy to explain anything else about my home community, and how it handled various inevitable troubles that societies are bound to encounter. I miss it all the time. Feels like such a natural way to live for me as opposed to considering what I would have to do to consider traditional home ownership.

<3

Max

On 6/9/20 5:53 PM, Sharon Villines via groups.io wrote:
This may be a duplicate question, but why rentals? How will you finance construction? What cohousing groups do is presell the units. Then the construction loan is based on those contracts. When the units close (or lots if you are doing RVs or tents), you pay back the construction loan. With additional sales you start again to build more and to build common spaces.

Sharon

On Jun 9, 2020, at 5:41 PM, David Oesper via groups.io <oesper@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

A poll has been updated:

As currently planned, Mirador Astronomy Village will provide several options for housing, including a cohousing community, apartments, a sharehouse, and RV park. All residents will rent. If you were to live in Mirador Astronomy Village someday (hypothetically speaking, at this early stage), please select the housing accommodations that would be acceptable to you, keeping in mind that as you go down the list, the monthly rent will get higher (unless, of course, you provide your own RV). Feel free to choose more than one option. This poll applies to both full-time and part-time residents.

1. Private tent only - all other spaces and facilities shared
2. Private RV used as a bedroom - all other spaces and facilities shared
3. Private bedroom - all other spaces and facilities shared
4. Private RV used as a bedroom with a toilet - all other spaces and facilities shared
5. Private bedroom with a toilet - all other spaces and facilities shared
6. Private RV used as a bedroom with a toilet and bathing facilities - all other spaces and facilities shared
7. Private bedroom with a toilet and bathing facilities - all other spaces and facilities shared
8. Private RV used as a bedroom with a toilet, bathing facilities, kitchen, and dining area - all other spaces and facilities shared
9. Private apartment with with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, and dining area - all other spaces and facilities shared
10. Private RV used as a bedroom with a toilet, bathing facilities, kitchen, dining area, and laundry - all other spaces and facilities shared
11. Private apartment with a bedroom, bathroom, kitchen, dining area, and laundry - all other spaces and facilities shared
12. Private home with one bedroom and one bathroom - access to all shared facilities
13. Private home with two bedrooms and one bathroom - access to all shared facilities
14. Private home with two bedrooms and two bathrooms - access to all shared facilities
15. Private home with three bedrooms and two bathrooms - access to all shared facilities
16. Private home with four bedrooms and two bathrooms - access to all shared facilities

Vote Now