Topics

Hi Everyone!! Another Rancho Hidalgo Refuge on Board

Lonnie Dittrick

I was following the discussion for awhile and thought I would join in.   As another Rancho H landowner this topic is always of interest but also a source of some trepidation, eh Steve?  The discussion of the route 60 corridor was of particular interest to me as back in 2008 I had considered both Rancho Hidalgo and property just south of Datil for purchase for an observatory site. Unfortunately I got hooked on all of the “extras” Gene was offering and went with the former. Sigh!  I still have some hope of establishing something out there of a more permanent nature but like most of you cannot really afford two homes.  I am not sure I have seen this mentioned in particular, but a possible source of an income stream to support your community would be hosting remote observatories for amateurs interested in Astrophotography, particularly given that there would be residents on campus to overlook operations.
Just my two cents.

Sharon Villines

On Jun 27, 2020, at 11:33 PM, Ldittrick1955@... wrote:

 I still have some hope of establishing something out there of a more permanent nature but like most of you cannot really afford two homes.  I am not sure I have seen this mentioned in particular, but a possible source of an income stream to support your community would be hosting remote observatories for amateurs interested in Astrophotography, particularly given that there would be residents on campus to overlook operations.

Many communities have this bi-cultural focus, so to speak, and are successful to the extent that the residential, cohousing part does not depend on all residents working in the income producing portions. Organic garden sales, for example, is one operation that co exists with some communities. Cheese-making in a community in Vermont.

Sometimes the communities began as fully integrated, but over time—sometimes a very short time — found it was better to have two organizations, however overlapping, worked better than trying to manage one that had to be all things to all people. Particularly when a large portion of the residents are not interested in the income producing side and/or people work in the income producing side with no interest in living at work.

What triggered me to respond was the word “permanence” while I was working on a blog post for Sustainable Cohousing on self-governance and strong communities. I realized what had been bothering me about the all rentals model. It encourages impermanence. This happens in many ways. The basic one is that there is an owner who can veto decisions by the residents and residents come to expect the owner to solve all problems. It isn’t that everyone is equal because everyone is renting, but they are all equal except some — the owner(s). This is reasonable, too, because the owners are the ones taking the financial and legal risks. But it also leads to autocratic governance.

The problem of term limits is a good example. In organizations where the top leadership can serve for a limited period of time, say one to six years or even eight years, the staff becomes stronger than the leaders. By necessity the staff controls rather than those elected to represent the people or members or citizens.

A short term leader is dependent on staff. It takes years to learn a job and to build power in terms of influencing others and being respected. Having an independent and powerful leader is beneficial for organizations — as long as they remain representative. Expecting Nancy Pelosi to step down is lunacy at this point. She is an expert and has the respect of everyone she leads. Mitch McConnell, on the other hand, has developed leadership into a kleptocracy. He uses it for personal gain for himself and the people who keep him in power. He even buys off the people by a disproportionate size and number of grants for his state.

People want term-limits to get rid of the Mitch McConnells but fail to realize that that means no Nancy Pelosi’s or Ted Kennedys or whomever. It will lead to strong staff control and will be even more hidden than it is now. Short term leaders can’t afford to fire experienced staff—they know how to do the job. One of Obama’s advantages in the Senate was that he inherited a full, experienced staff from a previous Senator with whom he was a close colleague. In addition to being just plain smart, he had a huge running start.

So that is what has been bothering me about “all rentals”. It means the owner(s) never cede control—even when they think they do or can.  The ideal is that everyone in the organization is equal in terms of respect and importance and has a defined responsibility over which they and their team mates are in control. The odds of an all rental community being the kind of community that is fully self-governing and co-responsible is not a possibility.

David Oesper

Welcome to the group, Lon! For those of you who don't know, Lon is an accomplished photographer, including astrophotography:

http://londittrickphotography.com/

I'm glad you brought up hosting remote observatories as an income source for a dark-sky community. I've always wanted to be the one at the dark-sky site helping to keep the observatories and equipment running instead of the one who is utilizing a remote observatory.

A few days ago, my one and only inquiry (so far) from the S&T classified ad also suggested remote observatory hosting, so I amended the Observatory Campus section of the Mirador Astronomy Village specifications document to include this:

Observatory Campus

The observatory campus will be the designated area set aside for astronomical observation. This will include observatories (individually or cooperatively rented), telescope pads, and a meteor watching deck. One observatory will be provided for the use of all residents of Mirador. The observatory campus will be located within easy walking distance of the residential campus.

A section of the observatory campus should be set aside for remote observatory hosting. Individual observatories would be leased by the hour or by the night to interested astronomers anywhere in the world. A larger structure with multiple telescopes inside could also be used for this purpose. High speed internet access is crucial, and must support remote interactive use. Remote observatory hosting will be another important source of income for the community.

Like you and Steve, I, too, am a Rancho Hidalgo land owner trying to figure out what to do with the property. I purchased 4 acres there about 12 years ago for $26K. If I can ever sell that property for what I bought it for, I would donate $13K towards the land-purchase for Mirador Astronomy Village (the other half is already spoken for).

Dave

Steve Taylor

There's activity at Hidalgo. The current residents have just had a major upgrade to the road there. Dark Skies New Mexico seems to be doing OK there too.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 14:30, David Oesper via groups.io <oesper=mac.com@groups.io> wrote:

[...]

Well that is good to hear, Steve.  Unfortunately, on the western side of the development it is, in the words of one of your more popular novelists, dead as a door nail 😉.  Unless things change dramatically on my end I will keep it simply to boondock with an RV.  I had the road improved enough to get to the pad I had built.  Thought about putting up a roll-off observatory with enough solar to power it.  But water, septic, power to run a/c.... don’t know if it is worth the investment.

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 2:58 PM Steve Taylor <steveastrouk@...> wrote:
[...]

“The Universe declares Your Majesty.”
www.londittrickphotography.com

Steve Taylor

Figuring on rainwater harvesting, solar and a lithium ion battery rack for the first parts of solutions to my problems.

--

Lonnie Dittrick

Do you think a rain harvesting system would be a viable option at our location?  We could collect enough to make this feasible?  How would you keep the water potable?  How would you handle the dust which is always an issue?  I have considered a biodegradable system to handle human waste...

On Sun, Jun 28, 2020 at 3:19 PM Steve Taylor <steveastrouk@...> wrote:
[...]

maxeem

Solar distillation tends to make water extremely pure indeed, and that's a kinda good solution for the desert due to the heat. You just have to maintain the materials of the distiller so it doesn't break down under the intense sun radiation exposure. So could look into that. Also potentially useful to find where a given water table is at. Sometimes there are areas where it's surprisingly closer to the surface. For wells/drilling. Being by mountains can sometimes help I heard. The water from the mountain is more available.

Max

On 6/28/20 12:30 PM, Lonnie Dittrick wrote:
[...]

I'm not necessarily thinking of it being necessarily potable, the amount we actually drink is really very small. Dust sediments out, and modern filters will easily fix the rest.
I too am thinking of a composting system for waste.
And I am building a recycling shower which has exotic filters in it to allow us to shower safely and happily with two gallons of water a time.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 15:32, Lonnie Dittrick <Ldittrick1955@...> wrote:
[...]

True. IIRC, our water table is around 200 feet down, but it's very expensive drilling round there, and the stuff falls out of the sky for free. Of course, if Hidalgo had happened, there would have been well-shares going on, but can't see that happening now, with the fragmented and unknown ownerships.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 15:36, maxeem <maxeem@...> wrote:

[...]

The rule of thumb for collection is (IIRC)  620 (US) gallons (I'm British) 2300 litres. per 1000 sq feet, per inch of rain - Hidalgo gets roughly 12" of water a year. With the water saving/harvesting we could do, I think its viable to capture our roof runoff.

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 at 15:43, Steve Taylor <steveastrouk@...> wrote:
[...]

Oooohhh, Navy shower time!